Monday, July 9, 2012

BSE


I must beg your forgiveness for such an uncreative title. It stands, simply, for Best Sauce Ever.  I'm irrationally jazzed up by dishes served with dipping sauces, because they lend another chance to pile on unique layers of deliciousness.  This dipping sauce was born after I had some leftover long peppers from a tangy, incredible steak sauce recipe and just had to dream them into a thicker sauce (reminiscent of my beloved Peruvian chicken).  What is a long pepper, you ask?



These are just a zippier version of roasted red peppers, which are a totally great substitute in this recipe, by the way. In all honesty, "recipe" is an indulgent term though, since this is really just a few ingredients quickly zapped together in a food processor that elevate a simple protein like rotisserie chicken into something seriously memorable. (I identify rotisserie chicken in the category of simple since it is most typical to pick up a rotisserie chicken at the store.   It may be no surprise that my hub resides in a different category: one that prepares said rotisserie bird himself, undeterred by 103 degree temperatures, with a result that could be the juiciest and most flavorful chicken ever. But as I had zero involvement in that project, I'll just say that this sauce is darn awesome on anything from store bought rotisserie chicken to wings to frozen chicken nuggets!)

Anyway, the scoop is below...  I so wish I measured this stuff precisely.  Even after a handful of preparations, I've never taken the time to figure out whether a "glug" really equals a tablespoon.  The good news is that it can be easily adjusted to taste.  If it needs a wake up, add a wee bit more vinegar.  If it feels overly acidic, add another squeeze of honey.  Remember to always season generously with salt and pepper too!



BSE

3-4 red long peppers
1/3 cup sour cream
1/3 cup mayo
1 Tbsp (glug-ish) red wine vinegar
1-2 tsp honey
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper

Combine all ingredients in a food processor, mini chop or blender and enjoy along with chicken, shrimp, or pork.   Don't forget the fries.







0 comments:

Post a Comment