Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Backlog - Savory

Despite somewhat frequent ramblings, I have accumulated a bit of a backlog of food photos not babbled over in this forum.  I'll take an opportunity to walk through them with an attempt to keep the discussion part short and sweet.... well, make that short and savory.  I'll follow up with some sweet on the next post!

Artichoke Ravioli with Tomatoes

Friends, I seriously cheated here.  In lieu of homemade pasta, I used wonton wrappers from the produce section. 

Aside:  Though not attempted, homemade pasta is an aspiration of mine.  I've actually been on the verge of purchasing a pasta maker/machine on several occasions.  I hereby commit to tackling this project in 2011.  Ooh, I'm already excited.  End aside.



Rather than layering and baking this dish (week night!), I threw the ingredients listed in the "assembly" section of the recipe into a pan and made a quick sauce on the stove.  Voila!  This was a bright and tangy supper that my crazy babies actually ate (despite my considerable nerves).  You gotta like artichokes for this, because their flavor sings in this dish.
















Patty Melt with Balsamic Onions and Swiss Cheese

Sorry for no recipe clickage, but aside from being delicious, this is super easy and weeknight safe.  Saute sliced onions over medium heat for 20ish minutes along with some salt, pepper and a dash of sugar.  Add a splash of balsamic vinegar at the end and toss.  Top a (seasoned with salt and pepper and cooked!) burger with the onions and a few slices of Swiss cheese. Nestle this yummy pile between two slices of toasted rye bread that have been just lightly spread with whole grain (or deli or Dijon or whatever) mustard, and press in a panini maker.  The crunchy bread offers the perfect package for the juicy goodness inside.  Though unexciting, I'll mention that the side dish is just simplicious sweet potato fries from the frozen section.



Garlic and Herb Roasted Tomatoes

I'm always on the hunt for quick-prep veggies, and these tomatoes are both fab and fast!  The marrying of garlic, tomatoes and fresh herbs over heat yields a surprisingly delicious and sweet result that's ready in under 10 minutes.  That sounded like a commercial.  Sorry 'bout that.

Andrew recently asked, "why do you take pictures of food all the time, Mommy?"  I told him that food makes me happy, and I like to share that with my friends.  Hope you enjoy!   

0 comments:

Post a Comment