Thursday, February 3, 2011

Backlog - Sweet

Onto the sweets for Part 2!

Pecan Pie with Cream Cheese Crust

I've provided this recipe before, but I've not expressed the enthusiasm it's due.  To me, there is little, I mean very little, better than the experience of meeting and subsequently devouring fresh pecan pie.



I can't say which component rocks my world the most: the toasted pecans, scrumptiously sweet and sticky goo or flaky crust.  All I know is that their combination - of course piled high with vanilla ice cream - is just Heaven.  Seriously, I know Heaven will be the most gloriously perfect place, and there has just got to be a lot of pecan pie there.



I'm kind of embarrassed that the below shot was taken just three (obviously massive) slices in.  We made this pie for our dear friend and sent him home with half of it.  Thank goodness; otherwise, I would have had to pay for this single dessert with the next 30 Pilates classes.



Chocolate Covered Peanut Butter Pretzel Blossoms

I saw a blurb in Real Simple about out-of-the-box uses for pretzels.  This technique - I can hardly call it a recipe - seemed like a totally fun activity to do with Andrew while his little terror sister napped.  We were  also bringing a meal to friends with a new baby that needed a sweet finisher.  Perf!



I don't know whether Andrew or Mommy has more fun during our kitchen adventures.  I'm even getting the giggles right now looking at his sweet little posed authentically in-action hand in this photo.  It is just a blast to create things together.....such a blast that my extraordinarily Type A self seems to forget about the mess factor.  To be totally dorky, lessons on addition/fractions/measuring are easy to sneak in.

The method:  In a bowl, stir together 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter, 1 Tbsp room-temp butter, 1/4 cup plus 1 Tbsp confectioner sugar and 1 cup crushed pretzels.  Roll into balls and freeze for at least 30 minutes.



Dip into gently melted milk chocolate, and allow to harden in the fridge.  Okay, so these are clearly less than gourmet.  But they sure were fun!


  Backlog temporarily cleared.  Till next time!

1 comments:

Kate Beck said...

Forgot to mention when I first saw this that I love the use of "backlog." Hard to hide the banker in you:)

Post a Comment